It’s a common misconception that graphic design – at least, good graphic design – happens quickly. Even experienced designers question the time aspect of a project. But, what if you don’t have the budget for a designer? Or what if your designer isn’t a designer at all, but one that’s had to pick it up quickly? Here are 10 places where anyone can improve their design skills immediately.
Graphic Design Basics, Principles, & Fundamentals
- Skip over all the google hits that come up for “graphic design basics” and soak up everything that Garr Reynolds has to say about the fundamentals of graphic design.
- Great resource from About.com.
- Principles of Gestalt. Complete with cheesy PDF worksheet!
- Very concise design basics info.
Graphic Design Elements
- Complete with graphic design lessons.
Graphic Design Typography (Most Important!)
- Great typography primer.
- Another great, informative typography primer with examples.
- Kerning, leading, and tracking.
- Typography terminology.
- Smashing Magazine’s 80 must have, professional fonts (not free)